The business was founded in 1930 by Ian H. Cameron, who was then 28, with a loan of £300 set up at Bridgend, Perth, in what used to be the old Perth Hunt stables. Part of the company remained there until 1972.
Up until the mid 1900s, franchises were unavailable, so the business was just servicing, repairs & the sale of, hard to come by, used cars. The business closed from 1939 - 1945 during the war years.
In early 1953, a new dealership was opened in Scone- The contract for VW was signed & the model line up then consisted only of the Beetle. Some people still remember it by the Volkswagen Beetle which was displayed on the roof!
In 1958, Volvo was acquired, a virtually unheard of car, built in Sweden to a very high standard compared to other makes at the time. The original models were the Amazon & the 120 series (121, 122 & 123GT).
We are now recognised as the longest serving dealers for VW & Volvo in the UK.
New premises were built in Dunkeld Road for Volkswagen in 1984 and has since been redeveloped in 2014 to the ultra modern Volkswagen showroom we see today
The business is still owned by the Cameron family, & employs over 160 members of staff.
In recent years, the company set up the Cameron Group Charitable Trust, essentially to help individuals on a local basis & to put something back into the community.